Coroner: Gas fumes killed Wisconsin farmer; death accidental

Action 2 News slate new graphics

AMHERST, Wis. (AP) – The Portage County coroner says a farmer was accidentally killed last month when he was exposed to hydrogen sulfide gas.

Coroner Scott Rifleman said Wednesday that 29-year-old Michael Biadasz was using a piece of farm equipment to agitate a large outdoor manure pit on his family’s farm near Amherst. That opened a crust layer on top of the pit and expelled the gas.

Other workers found Biadasz when they arrived Aug. 15 to haul away manure from the large tank.

The wind was calm and the sky clear early that morning, with a heavy layer of fog near the ground. Stevens Point Journal Media (http://spjour.nl/2cOzvJx ) reports the lack of air movement and sudden release of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is heavier than air, created a deadly dome of air.

___

Information from: Stevens Point Journal Media, http://www.stevenspointjournal.com

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

We welcome comments and civil discussions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s