GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) – The Green Bay Police Department is investigating the sale of counterfeit tickets to recent games at Lambeau Field.
Police say the counterfeit tickets are circulating online through unauthorized resellers. Some victims said they bought tickets from people through Craigslist which turned out to be fakes.
The complaints come from the Wisconsin-LSU game, Packers-Lions game, and the Packers-Giants game. Fans who purchased the fake tickets were not allowed to enter the stadium.
Police say the phony tickets have a lot of similarities to the real deal. That’s why fans are encouraged to avoid unauthorized sellers.
“People need to understand that when they buy tickets, they need to look at the source. They need to come from the National Association of Ticket Brokers. Odds are their tickets are probably authentic if they have that credential,” Police Capt. Kevin Warych said.
Police recommend making sure ticket sellers offer guarantees or have return policies, and use a credit card when buying tickets so if there is a problem you can dispute the charge. If buying from a personal seller, such as through Craigslist, consider asking to do the transaction in the lobby of the local police station; if the seller is reluctant, this could be a red flag.
The police department also offered these consumer safety tips:
- Free online marketplaces that ask buyers to arrange to pay for tickets in person are often sources of counterfeit tickets.
- Fans are advised to only buy tickets from official sources and team partners, such as NFL Ticket Exchange (link available at www.Packers.com/tickets). Ticket Exchange is the only resale ticket marketplace authorized by the Packers, with exclusive ability to electronically verify and reissue every Packers ticket sold. This ensures that tickets are authentic and valid for admission.
- According to the Wisconsin Bureau of Consumer Protection, other ticket sources to consider should be members of the National Association of Ticket Brokers, as these businesses may offer a money-back guarantee if a problem occurs with purchased tickets.
- Ticket buyers are advised to be aware of whether or not secondary ticketing sources or classified ad sites offer guarantees or have return policies in place.
- Ticket buyers are also urged to request identification from those selling the tickets, and should keep in mind that if the ticket pricing seems too good to be true, it probably is
- Fans are encouraged to be diligent and do their research before choosing to buy tickets from unofficial sources, as well as to use a credit card to purchase, so that in the event of a problem, the charges can be disputed. If there are any questions on game days, please locate a police officer in the parking lot or go direct with Will-Call at Lambeau Field.
If you are a victim or have additional information, call Green Bay Police at 448-3200.
Anonymous tips can be reported through Crime Stoppers at (920) 432-STOP.