Appleton home damaged in chimney fire

fire generic

APPLETON, Wis. (WBAY) – Firefighters say an Appleton home sustained an extensive amount of damage after a chimney fire.

The Appleton Fire Department was called at 1 a.m. Sunday to the 1600 block of Hillcrest Drive. All five people inside the home — three adults and two children — were able to get out safely because they had working smoke detectors.

Crews say they spent a significant amount of time putting out hot spots in the attic before the fire was extinguished.

No one was hurt. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Firefighters credit the smoke detectors for allowing the people inside the home to get out safely. They were all sleeping at the time the fire broke out.