Teenager taken to hospital after Green Bay house fire

fire generic

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) – A 13-year-old was transported to a hospital on Saturday after a kitchen fire at a Green Bay home.

The Green Bay Metro Fire Department says it was called at 5:55 p.m. to the 1100 block of 13th Avenue.

Firefighters say someone was cooking with grease and wasn’t watching the food when the stove top caught fire. The flames spread to the wall and cabinets.

The 13-year-old was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. No one else was injured.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damages.

The adult and two children who lived inside the home are staying with other family members in town.

Firefighters say cooking is the number one cause of house fires and that people should never leave cooking food unattended.