Green Bay chimney fire causes $30K in damage

FILE
FILE

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) – A fire that started in a wood-burning fire place caused $30,000 in damage to a Green Bay home Thursday morning, according to the Green Bay Metro Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the 800 block of Gross Ave at 1:35 a.m.

The department says they found smoke and flames in the area of the chimney, with fire extending into the attic and living room.

Firefighters had to cut holes in the roof to put out the flames.

GBMFD is urging residents to have chimneys professionally cleaned and inspected as the winter season approaches.