Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning while staying warm during hunting season

co

NEENAH, Wis. (WBAY) – Thousands of hunters across the state are settling into cabins and campers ahead of a full weekend of fun and family.

But as the temperatures drop ThedaCare professionals are hoping hunters also focus on their air quality.

“We want them to stay safe while hunting, we also want them to stay safe in their tent, camper, cottage,” said ThedaCare Trauma Center-Neenah Injury Prevention and Outreach Coordinator Kathi Hegranes.

A cold weekend ahead means they’ll have to find safe ways to stay warm.

That often means infrequently used furnaces and fuel burning portable heaters.

But those can be deadly if they’re not properly ventilated because they can give off carbon monoxide.

“Whether it’s an ice shanty, hunting cabin, deer blind, anytime you’re using a type of heating appliance you want to read the instructions thoroughly, follow manufactures heating instructions always don’t alter the device,” said Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue Firefighter Jeff Schweitzer.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness and weakness which can often be masked by drinking or a hangover.

That’s another reason why Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue and ThedaCare say all living spaces should be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.

“You can get a battery-powered CO detector which you can keep in a camper, keep in a cabin with no power,” said Schweitzer.

It’s a season for memories and fun but that’s no excuse to not to be safe.

“They’re preventable, these deaths, these poisonings, they are preventable but one death, is one too many,” said Hegranes.

You can find co detectors for around $20 at area stores.