Gree reannounces dehumidifier recall after hundreds of fires

danby-dehumidifier

(WBAY) – Consumers are strongly urged to check their dehumidifiers as a company reannounces a recall after hundreds of fires are linked to the product.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says recalled Gree dehumidifiers have caused 450 fires and $19 million in property damage.

The recalled dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke, and catch fire.

The recall was first announced in Sept. 2013, but these units continue to be blamed for fires.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the recall involves these products:

20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, 65 and 70-pint dehumidifiers with brand names Danby, De’Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima. Recalled model numbers and date codes are listed below. The brand name and the pint capacity are printed on the front of the dehumidifier. The model number and date code are printed on a sticker on the back, front or side of the unit. The dehumidifiers are white, beige, gray or black plastic and measure between 19 and 24 inches tall, 13 and 15 inches wide, and 9 and 11 inches deep.

CLICK HERE for a full list of model numbers.

Consumers should unplug the recalled dehumidifiers and stop using them. Contact Gree for a full refund:

PHONE: (866) 853-2802

ONLINEhttp://www.greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx

The recalled units were sold at stores nationwide and online at Amazon and eBay from Jan. 2005 to August 2013.

Safety experts recommend you avoid purchasing used dehumidifiers due to the risk they are included in the recall.

Gree isn’t the only company with a dehumidifier recall. GD Midea has recalled 3.4 million units due to smoke and fire hazards. Click here to get more information about the GD Midea recall.

MORE:

Recalled dehumidifier catches fire in Fond du Lac home

Dehumidifier sparks basement fire in Green Bay

Recalled dehumidifiers causing more fires, concerns

Dehumidifier sparks fire in Green Bay home. Dec. 2015.
Dehumidifier sparks fire in Green Bay home. Dec. 2015.
Recalled dehumidifier catches fire. Photo: Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue on Facebook.
Recalled dehumidifier catches fire. Photo: Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue on Facebook.

We welcome comments and civil discussions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s