Suamico fire caused by unattended candle

Firefighters work at a house fire in Suamico, Wisconsin, on the morning of Jan. 13, 2017.
Firefighters work at a house fire in Suamico, Wisconsin, on the morning of Jan. 13, 2017.

SUAMICO, Wis (WBAY) – A mother suffered burn injuries in a house fire in Suamico early Friday morning.

The Suamico Fire Department says the fire was caused by an burning candle that was left unattended.

Crews from Suamico, Pulaski and Howard responded to 13005 Velp Avenue at about 12:47 a.m.

Firefighters found smoke and flames coming out of bedroom windows.

The family was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and they were able to escape.

The mother was taken to a local hospital for burns on her hand. She was treated and released, according to the Suamico Fire Department.

The fire was contained to a bedroom. The rest of the home has smoke damage.

The family is staying with friends.

The cost of damage is estimated at $40,000.

The fire department urges people to never leave burning candles unattended.

“Candles start more than 8,200 home fires each year,” says a statement from the Suamico Fire Department.

Suamico’s fire chief says crews faced some challenges.

“The fire was just stubborn, the house was moved from a prior location, so it’s been remodeled a few times, so it was a little stubborn to get in to,” said Chief Troy Noe, Suamico Fire Department.

The chief says the driveway was icy, and one hydrant was frozen, but other nearby hydrants worked.

“The location of the fire, with power lines running up to the residence, we had to get WPS out here to get the power shut off,” said Chief Noe. “If the fire extended, we were afraid it would have burnt the wires off and then fell on the driveway where the crews were working.”

It took the crews about 30 minutes to put out the fire.

 

 

 

We welcome comments and civil discussions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s